Many people while traveling abroad do not bother with the details of their travel insurance. In case of a mishap, they are caught unaware and can end up wasting precious time and money. The process may seem daunting but if you know what to do then you can relax during tense situations. Provided below is a guide that will help you make your Insurance claims
in the most convenient way possible.
Prepare and pack
Overseas travel insurance covers the following risks:
- Medical emergencies,
- Financial contingencies,
- Personal liabilities,
- Loss of baggage or passport,
- Flight delays,
- Emergency evacuations, etc.
Preparation prior to travel:
- While creating your packing list, be sure to include all relevant documents related to your travel insurance policy. That way, you’ll have the relevant details with which to contact your insurance provider with confidence.
- Document everything with your cell phone. A photo of your bag while packing will give you an inventory. This way you have a ready list to share with your insurance provider if your baggage gets lost. Don’t forget to take a picture of the bag.
- Photographs of damaged car/ luggage s in case of an accident while traveling.
- Keep scanned copies of all your travel insurance documents, photos that your document, your insurance providers contact number and email, etc. on your email or cloud.
Call your insurer on time
In the event of an unfortunate incident, it is necessary to notify the insurance provider within the time frame mentioned in the policy. You should inform them on their call center in the case of incidents such as,
- Trip cancellations
- Travel delays
- Trip interruptions
- Baggage loss or delay
- Missed connections
- Medical emergency
The benefit of this is two-fold:
- The provider will know you need some help, and will commence the process of getting you out of trouble.
- You’ve established a possible reason for filing the claim, so there will be no surprises later.
When you call the insurer, you may need to furnish details of the incident. They will then send you a claim form to fill out. You can download a claim form on insurance company website and complete.
Evidence is necessary: Provide some proof to support the claim
Proof of loss is required when you file a claim against travel insurance. Proof of loss might include:
- Police reports in case of theft or any other crime
- A written statement from the airline regarding the loss of your bag
- Medical statements in case you seek medical care while on trip
- Receipts for extra expenses like meals, lodging, and more.
If you follow the above mentioned steps at the time you pack for a trip abroad, you will not struggle when you make a claim.
Labels: Insurance Claims, Overseas Travel, Travel Insurance